Andrew Ferguson (Born 1959)
oil on canvas
61 x 61 cm
signed, dated and inscribed with title verso
Provenance: Lawson-Menzies, Artworks from the Estate of Chandler Coventry, Sydney, 30/03/2004, Lot No. 18
Leonard Joel, The David Bromley Collection Part II, Melbourne, Melbourne, 28/11/2011, Lot No. 16
0419 540 162
In Andrew Ferguson’s painting figures are flattened and divided into segments which are differentiated by tonal contrast and variations. The influence of the stained-glass window looms in the background which is not surprising as Andrew trained with his father who was a stained-glass window maker.
Andrew Ferguson was born in Melbourne. He trained and worked in stained glass from 1977-81 and completed a Diploma of Art at Phillip Institute of Technology in 1983. He was a founding member of the famed ‘Roar Studio’ Roar studios. Collectively the ‘Roar ‘painters saw themselves as extending the Melbourne expressionist tradition that emerged in Melbourne in the 1940’s.
Andrew Ferguson is represented in the National Gallery Australia, Parliament House Canberra and Latrobe University collections.